Georgian Shores United Church is located in an impressive 1886 stone church. A Christian Education addition in 1958 added space throughout three floors for offices, Sunday school rooms, library, a large parlour, and a gymnasium with a stage and a full kitchen. The gymnasium is rated for 300 occupants. It is frequently used after worship for refreshment time as well as after funerals. This hall is also rented out to community groups.
The seating in the sanctuary accommodates over 700 people on two levels. The focal points of the sanctuary are the front stage and the historic stained glass windows that line both sides of the sanctuary. The three windows at the back of the Sanctuary on the main level came from the former Knox United Church building. The organ console sits on the main stage level. A retractable screen displays announcements, hymn lyrics, and other media relevant to the service.
In addition to making the stage wheelchair accessible, the improvements at the front of the church opened up the space for more stage musicians, the choir and for stage dramas throughout the course of the Christian calendar.
In 2005, a lift was installed to make all levels of the building accessible to everyone. The wheelchair ramp is off the 4th Avenue East parking lot.
Community groups, such as AA, meet in the building. During the summer, The Noon Hour concert series perform varied musical offerings on Wednesdays in the sanctuary.
The Parking Lot
The lot spans the width of the block between 4th and 5th Avenue East and includes parking for 80 cars. The lot benefits from three entrances providing access from 10th Street East, 4th Avenue East and 5th Avenue East.
Please no over night parking.