Georgian Shores United Church began January 1, 2012, after the prayerful and intentional amalgamation of Division St. United and Knox United congregations. Both churches grew from the original Free Presbyterian congregation in Owen Sound (then the village of Sydenham) established in 1846. Since 1873, the two congregations had worshipped one block apart in the downtown area of Owen Sound.
After many discussions, members of both congregations voted on May 15, 2011, to proceed with amalgamation on January 1, 2012. An amalgamation committee was formed with representatives from both congregations plus a Presbytery representative. Representatives from both congregations and two Presbytery representatives comprised the Joint Needs Assessment Committee (JNAC). The two congregations regularly shared worship services and some special events to help get to know each other.
Through a series of workshops in September 2011, a Vision Statement, a Mission Statement and Core Values were developed. The two congregations voted on these statements and the name for our new church on October 2, 2011. Georgian Shores United Church was the successful name choice.
January 1, 2012
At special services on January 1, 2012, both congregations bade farewell to their old congregation. The members exited their buildings, carrying items for the new church. Then they met at the professional building parking lot. Together, members entered as one congregation into Georgian Shores United Church (the former Division Street building) to conclude the service.