Georgian Shores United Church is located in an impressive 1886 stone church. A Christian Education addition in 1958 added space throughout three floors for offices, Sunday school rooms, library, a large parlour, and a gymnasium with a stage and a full kitchen. The gymnasium rated for 300 occupants (without tables) is used after worship for refreshment time and special events. This hall is also rented out to community groups.
The seating in the sanctuary accommodates over 700 people on two levels. Historic stained glass windows line three sides of the sanctuary. The three windows that are at the back of the sanctuary on the main level came from the former Knox United Church building. The changes to the sanctuary brought the organ console down from the choir loft to the main stage level, and added a retractable screen to display announcements, hymn lyrics and other media relevant to the service.
In addition to making the stage wheelchair accessible, the improvements at the front of the church opened up the space for more stage musicians, the choir and for stage dramas throughout the course of the Christian calendar. Because the stage can accommodate two concert grand pianos, it is frequently used by community groups for concerts.
Since 2005, a lift makes all levels of the building accessible to everyone. The wheelchair ramp is off the 4th Avenue East parking lot.
The church facilities attract a lot of use by community groups.
The Parking Lot
The lot spans the width of the block between 4th and 5th Avenue East and includes parking for 80 cars. The lot benefits from three entrances providing access from 10th Street East, 4th Avenue East and 5th Avenue East. There are designated spots for handicap parking.