Georgian Shores United Church was created January 1, 2012 by the prayerful and intentional amalgamation of Division St. United and Knox United congregations. Both churches grew from the original Free Presbyterian congregation in Owen Sound (then the village of Sydenham) established in 1846 and were since 1873 one block apart in the downtown area of Owen Sound.
After many discussions, members of both congregations voted on May 15, 2011, to proceed with amalgamation on January 1, 2012. An amalgamation committee was formed with representatives from both congregations plus a Presbytery representative. A joint needs assessment committee (JNAC) was also formed with representatives from both congregations and two Presbytery representatives. The two congregations regularly shared worship services and some special events to help get to know each other.
Through a series of workshops in September 2011, a Vision Statement, a Mission Statement and Core Values were developed. The two congregations voted on these statements and the name for our new church on October 2, 2011, Georgian Shores United Church was the successful name choice.
At special services on January 1, 2012 both congregations bade farewell to their old congregation by exiting their buildings, and then joined together to enter as one congregation into Georgian Shores United Church (the former Division Street building).